Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Conor at the Temple


During the course of our trip to Arizona, I thought it might be a good idea to stop at the three temples we would be near, so that Conor could feel something of the sacredness and importance of these magnificent buildings and begin to commit within himself to one day be worthy to enter them. He's been to the Los Angeles Temple many times, but I thought it would be nice for him to see other temples. There is much he doesn't understand yet, but he knows that because of temples families can be forever, and he knows that his upcoming baptism is the first step he needs to take in order to one day enter The House of the Lord.

The first temple we stopped at was the Gilbert Arizona Temple. This is a brand new temple and I'd been dying to see it. It is so beautiful! So glorious in every detail! I can't wait to come back to Arizona and have time to do some work inside. The building is absolutely stunning! As we walked around, I told Conor to focus on the feeling he had inside being on the temple grounds. It's really wonderful.




I love the windows! Such incredible craftsmanship!





While we were in Show Low, we drove up to see the Snowflake Arizona Temple. This temple is near and dear to my heart. My first husband and I were one of the landowners who donated this land to the Church so that this temple could be built. We got to be involved in the groundbreaking and construction process and then present in the Celestial Room with President Gordon B. Hinckley for the dedication of it back in 2002. This was the temple I went to many, many times seeking peace during the most difficult time in my life. I have had sacred experiences here, and it was special for me to be here again.


Grandma and Grandpa Holiday come to this temple every Saturday to do work for our family. Before going inside, Dad posed for a picture with Conor.


There was lavender blooming all around the temple. I love lavender.


But it's also very windy and sunny in Snowflake! And that makes it hard for good picture taking!



I have a picture of me and my three older kids standing next to this Angel Moroni statue before it was hoisted to the top of the temple.





Lastly, on the way home we stopped at the Mesa Arizona Temple. This is the temple that my parents and grandparents were sealed in, as well as my brother Josiah and his wife, Sarah. When I lived in Mesa for seven years, I came to this temple often, and I love it. There is an incredible Christmas light display at this temple every year as well that is worth attending.


Again, a very sunny day, especially for a blue-eyed boy!



To escape the heat, we ducked into the Visitor's Center for a bit. Our Los Angeles Temple also has a Christus statue.


Conor spent some time exploring the different displays and we watched a few of the movie presentations. Everything the Church does is done so well. It was wonderful to take a break from our drive to feel the powerful Spirit of the temple.



I'm going to put together a little book for Conor with these and other pictures we took at the temples so that he can remember these experiences. Hopefully, he will tuck them away in his heart and desire to one day go inside to receive his own blessings and to serve the Lord.

No comments: