Monday, December 30, 2013

Graham Cracker Houses: A Beloved Tradition


It must happen every year, you know. And it just gets bigger and better. This was the first year that Adam and I did not make our own houses, because Lyndsay wanted to invite her boyfriend and his brother over to participate and I wanted to be sure we had enough ingredients.

First, the prep work: Lyndsay made our foundations.


Aiden laid out the candy and supplies.


And I made three batches of royal icing.


Beginning construction:



This was a first for these boys, so Lyndsay carefully demonstrates techniques.


Dylan and Aiden go for big and complex graham cracker architecture. One of them may have had a small meltdown halfway through and almost crushed his house, but thankfully, the crisis was averted.



I love how they each come up with different styles. Well, except for Lyndsay. Hers is pretty much the same variation on a theme each year. But why mess with a good thing?


I love Conor's faces when he's hard at work.


And his ingenuity. Here he is adding a Dorito window.


Dylan prefers the construction to the decoration, so he enlisted my help with that part.


He also has a thing against a normal face for pictures.



Conor's work of art:


Lyndsay's pretty house:


The aftermath. Oh my.


Aiden wins the prize this year, I think. If there was a prize, that is.


And here is Braulio's first-ever graham cracker house:


I loved his icicle detail.


And Brando's. Nice work!



Our little village! The tradition lives on! (And so glad to have Dylan's house in the neighborhood this year!)


No comments: