Sunday, January 22, 2012

Summer Flashback: Star Wars Zoo Day

I was looking through photos tonight and realized I'd forgotten to post these pics. (I think.) Late this summer the Los Angeles Zoo hosted Star Wars Day. I knew I had to find a way to get Conor there. Our zoo membership had expired, but luckily my friend, Carrie, also has a Star Wars obsessed family and a membership, so she offered to let Conor and I tag along on guest passes.

Two things about that day:

1. It was very cool. As in, Star Wars cool.

2. It was probably the hottest day of the summer. (Can you tell from Conor's red, droopy face in that top picture?) And the lines were other-worldly. Like, from a galaxy far, far away.




I love his expression here.

We also saw Han Solo, Princess Leia, and some Ewoks (majorly cute). Some of the creatures were stationed by animals that they have similarities too for "educational" purposes. The Ewoks, for example, were over with the koalas. I desperately wanted to see Jabba the Hutt, who was to be parked over by the hippo, but the negative thing was that they had many of the Star Wars characters scheduled to appear at various times throughout the day, to extend the fun. Figures. Jabba wasn't scheduled till late in the afternoon, and there was no way we were staying for that long. Like I said, hottest day of the year. I don't know how those Stormtroopers wore their costumes for so many hours. That would be like a death sentence for me. Anyway, it was thrilling for Conor, who loves his Star Wars.

We also made a quick stop in the petting zoo:

I love this photo. This poor goat was sleeping in the stifling heat. Conor took full advantage of the opportunity and started burying it in sand. He ended up completely burying his leg there, and then I had to stop him when he started pouring sand on the goat's head. Meanwhile, the goat never woke up.

He did some good, though, giving this sheep a quick grooming.

Gotta love the zoo.

1 comment:

Luisa Perkins said...

SO COOL. My kids would FLIP.