Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mourning Morning

Yesterday was a weird day. It's been raining for days and days, as you may know. Friends are worried about mudslides and flooding, and though our house is safe (I think), it's hard to relax all the way and enjoy the storms outside when you know people you love are frightened and praying that their houses will be safe too.

And then, in the afternoon, I stupidly gave Conor a Ferrero Rocher chocolate candy that was gifted to me by a piano student, and within seconds he came running to me saying, "I'm allergic to these!" I thought it would be safe, since he's allergic to walnuts and pecans, and hazelnuts (the nut in the candies) is in a different nut family. I mean, he eats cashews, almonds, and peanuts with no problem. I dashed him into the kitchen and gave him a huge dose of Benadryl and Adam and I watched him. No hives this time, but even half an hour after the Benadryl, his breathing was still getting worse. Scary worse. So, we loaded him up and took off for the hospital, while he wheezed and coughed in the back seat. An Epi-pen and some steroids and a nebulizer treatment had him better in a few hours and we came back home.

Then I found out that a friend of mine, who had gone into the hospital to have her baby girl, had lost her baby. At the final stretch, the baby just didn't make it, though she'd been fine throughout the pregnancy. Little Becky. We all knew her name. This was my friend's 4th daughter, and her loss just broke my heart. I couldn't sleep at all last night thinking of her holding her little girl in the hospital, under very different circumstances that what we all expected. It just isn't fair, but then, we know that life isn't supposed to be. Right before Christmas, too, and having to break the news to the three big sisters who have been looking forward to Becky joining the family.

It gives all of us an opportunity to serve her and her family, to reach out. To take the other girls in, to bring meals for the family, to do whatever we can to help ease the burdens of life while they mourn and heal.

I couldn't sleep at all last night. The rain poured outside my window. My Conor was safe in his bed after a scare that without medical treatment could have turned out quite differently. I prayed for my friend and her heart, and her sweet angel. I am grateful for eternal families and knowledge of life behind this mortal one. I am grateful for temple sealings that keep baby Becky a part of her family forever. I am grateful for faith.

I am grateful for an opportunity to serve a friend, who would do anything for me. This is the friend who saved me with the dentist recommendation when Aiden was suffering last summer. My inspired friend. My hurting friend.

Christmas just became more meaningful.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, this breaks my heart! I am so sorry for all these trials--why do they seem to multiply at Christmastime? Hugs!

Summer said...

just browsing through the blogs this past week to find that although we say MERRY CHRISTMAS there realy is a lot of heartach in our world so it truly makes me grateful that JESUS is the REASON for my season ...... i don't know your your friend & her family,but i am a prayer warrior so i'll them in prayer ......may GODS PEACE be with you