Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Prudent Homemaker

I found the most wonderful website yesterday. It really blessed my life, as I've been going through something lately. I wanted to share it with you here, because even if you are not going through financial difficulties, we could all probably do a little better at cultivating beauty around us, using our resources a little more wisely, and finding ways to be more grateful.

The website is called The Prudent Homemaker. The wife and mother who made it tells the story of how her family had to live on food storage alone for two years straight. She details beautifully how she did that, with links to menus, recipes, and how-to instructions for everything from gardening to canning to homeschooling. This woman magnifies her glorious calling as a homemaker, and it really inspired me. Plus, she takes stunning photographs that show off her cooking-from-food-storage recipes and the abundance that she harvests from her garden. Every photo you see, she took from her own cooking or garden. Incredible.

Of especial interest to me was the link on the side bar titled "Encouragement". This is where she shares some things that help her keep her spirits up and her heart full of gratitude even when things have been really rough. Things like get out for some fresh air every day, serve someone, clean something---but she explains it all so well, and I realize there is much I can do to bolster my own spirits, instead of waiting for rescue for happiness to come.

Find her photo tutorial of canning pears--and check out the link for what she cans every year! Oh, my! I love it! Also, see the slide show photos of her enviable pantry. So neat, so organized, and so inspired, as it literally fed their family for two years!

Browse around. See if something doesn't make you want to feel a little better about the magnificent calling of homemaker.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Awesome! I think I'll go spend some time over there! Thanks Jenna

Brandy said...

Thank you so much, Jenna. Comments like yours make the time I spend on the site so worthwhile. Plus, they make my day!

Saint Holiday said...

Can I be a homemaker, too? Or do you have to be a girl? Love you.

Dad

Alejandra said...

Thanks for sharing! What an amazing woman and such a great website, I just spent a long time there and can't get enough!
P.S your dad cracks me up :)